Why do potential customers leave the site and don't buy anything? This article is for businessmen and companies who consider the site as an advertising channel for sales.
A selling site is a resource with the correct design and semantic load, which motivates visitors to take the targeted action. We are not always talking about the direct sale of a product or service in the “choose and pay” format. In a broad sense, you can even “sell” a free subscription, which eventually transforms into a paid one (or does not transform).
An additional element of a selling site is an offer of discounts, bonuses or any other benefit for customers.
In addition to the requirements for the presence of selling elements, there are also mandatory characteristics - for example, high loading speed and normal operation on mobile devices, which includes not only the adaptability of the interface, but also convenient control with fingers, not a mouse.
All selling sites consist of a set of essential elements that help solve the main problem - to sell.
Let's take a closer look at these elements:
- Unique selling proposition - why you are better than others and you should buy from you.
- Presentable design that inspires confidence and looks in line with the rules of the niche - for example, rigor for legal services, movement and dynamics - for the sports industry, etc.
- Semantic core - a set of keywords by which visitors find a site in search engines. Mostly refers to multi-page sites, but more on that below.
- Selling texts, photos, videos, graphics and any other informative elements - everything should show how you solve a specific problem of visitors.
- A simple tool for buying or subscribing - in 1 click, no pre-registration, no filling out huge forms.
A simple but important rule: you create a website for your target audience (CA) - Clients and partners.
The ideal structure of a selling site
When we talk about the structure of a selling site, we usually mean a landing page. However, some of the guidelines can be applied to multi-pages too. It is important to understand that these are recommendations based on the experience of marketers and webmasters, but not hard and fast rules.
Most of the successfully selling sites are built on the following structure:
1. A headline that simultaneously represents a unique selling proposition. In it, you immediately show the solution to which problem the visitor will find on the site.
2. Logo, name, contact details of the company. This block works to increase the level of trust, you introduce yourself to visitors so that they immediately understand with whom they will (or will not) cooperate.
3. Demonstration of a product or service. A very important block that can consist of a variety of elements: text, photos, videos, images, graphics. When choosing tools, there is only one unbreakable rule - you must show how it works and what problem it solves.
4. Brand benefits. In competitive niches, you need to convincingly prove why you need to cooperate with you, and not with another site.
5. Means of communication - a form of feedback or ordering a call back. They can be attached to the screen when scrolling as buttons.
6. CTA (Call To Action) - a button for performing a targeted action: buy, order, subscribe.
7. Block with a promotion - information about discounts and bonuses, a timer counting down the time until the end of the profitable offer.
8. Social proof - most often it is customer reviews.
You can and should experiment with the arrangement of elements on the page. Elements do not have to follow each other. This is especially true of landing pages, during the creation of which comparative testing is constantly applied.
Landing page or multi-page site: what to choose
The choice between single-page and multi-page structures depends on what problem you want to solve.
A landing page is suitable for selling a single product or one service. It is a handy quick start tool that allows you to make an interesting offer for your target audience.
There can be many landing pages - for example, if you are engaged in sewing clothes and shoes, then it is reasonable to divide these two offers into two one-page pages.
The better you divide your target audience, the higher the conversion can be - that is, the percentage of orders. All thanks to a more personalized offer - people on a one-page site will not see an abstract "we help in a million cases", but a solution to a specific problem that they encountered and in search of which they went to the Internet.
A multi-page site is suitable if you have a full-fledged business with a wide range of products or services. Its plus is that you can tell in detail about your activity in one place and show it in practice. This builds confidence in the business and works not only to attract new customers, but also to work productively with regular customers.
Most often, business owners on the Internet combine landing pages and multi-page sites. The scenarios can be different.
1. You start selling goods or services from several one-pages. When you understand that everything is in order with your clients, create a multi-page website with a catalog of goods or a more detailed description of all services.
2. You create a multi-page website, which you immediately fill with a full range of goods and services, and then launch an advertising campaign for individual items using landing pages.
Order or do it yourself
The best sellers are business creators. You probably know how to tell about a product or service in a way that will interest buyers. But to make a website truly selling, you need to be in the subject of website creation and SEO promotion - like a fish in water!
If you cannot do it yourself - for example, due to lack of time or knowledge in this area - then it is better to contact a company of professionals that makes turnkey websites.
In addition to creating selling sites, the company also offers the following services:
- SEO-site optimization;
- setting up contextual advertising;
- development of graphics and logos.
We are also involved in project support. You can order personal assistance on the site and not keep a webmaster on staff to make minor edits or expand the existing functionality due to third-party widgets and scripts.
How to make a website sell - the main rules
Rule # 1. A selling site should be aimed at a specific target audience. This focus is manifested in the semantic core, information on the site (texts, advertising offer), design and usability of the site. The client is the focus of the entire company. Therefore, everything on the site must be viewed from the point of view of the Client.
Rule # 2. Marketing website performance starts with search. This means that you need to collect customer-oriented search queries (the semantic core, customer-oriented). This is necessary not only for website promotion (SEO), but also for targeted advertising campaigns in Google AdWords and others.
A person enters search phrases into the Google search bar. In fact, these are his desires and problems. For example: “how to make the site sell”. Everything is adjusted to these phrases: SEO, advertising in Google AdWords and targeted advertising on social networks. You, as a person who is looking for this information, are taken into the "advertising target".
The site is an advertising channel. Highly effective if it is made for the customer, not bragging rights and creativity.
Rule # 3. People don't come to websites to admire beautiful designs and see creative. They seek answers to questions and solutions to their problems. They need selling information (specific benefits) to make an informed and informed buying decision.
Here you, by and large, are only interested in the benefits in this article. Specific techniques on how to create a selling website.
People come to your site in order to get a specific solution to their problem.
Rule # 4. Always be specific: “the guarantee for tables, chairs, wardrobes is 3 years. On sofas - 5 years. If you write vaguely, then indicate what it depends on: price, delivery speed, etc. The client should not think out and figure out. He needs specifics. It happens that everything depends on something, then give a fork in terms, prices and explain what depends on what.
Rule # 5. Check what is included in the service. The main advertising proposal is "free design project". But the conditions are not stipulated. I am a Client, I do not want to search for anything. Give me all the information. It is necessary to give full information about the advertising offer.
Bonus rule. If the site is commercial, then use the services of a normal hoster and hire specialists who will properly set up an advertising campaign.
Rule # 6. If you have an unknown company, then landing pages will not work without selling information. Have you made yourself a landing page that doesn't sell? Then link to your main site. The client will be able to get more information there, if there is one.
Rule # 7. The first screen of the home page should show the visitor what he can buy on the site and how this offer differs from that of competitors. The only call-to-action option is “get a phone consultation”.
Rule # 8. The company's key strengths must be clear, specific, and distinct from those of competitors. Little things and customer care are what make the offer attractive. It is important to close the maximum number of objections of a potential Client while still on the site.
Rule # 9. Selling texts must be present on the key pages of a commercial site: home page, about the company / service, service and product pages, delivery and payment. Any commercial materials are written for the Client. They must contain comprehensive answers to his questions and objections.
Landing page serves to quickly draw attention to the product, convince a potential client of its usefulness and some exclusivity against the background of such offers.
A person, having looked through the sections of a one-page page, begins to show interest in the product, even if initially he did not really need it. He perceives the arguments, doubts are smoothed out, the wariness or even anxiety that accompanies the situations of parting with money dissipates, there is a feeling of anticipation of satisfaction from the results of the transaction. And the person buys / subscribes / orders, etc.
This is how a good landing page works. A semi-random passer-by gets on the page and buys the tenth iPhone case, a great "branded" wallet with a triple discount, or some course on the secret yoga technique for all existing diseases. Because the conditions are favorable, the benefits of the deal are obvious, everything is laid out and smoothed out from both the practical and the emotional side of the issue. A lot of fun for a couple of coins.. Why not? What's the risk?
The client receives benefits from the transaction that exceed the investment - this is the main message of any effective landing page. The page should form such a summary impression.
The extent to which the above scenario comes true is called conversion - the percentage of page visitors to closed deals. Pages show varying performance. Looking alike, one sells, the other doesn't? Why is that? There are a million nuances and a small cart, but there are general principles, we will talk about them a little later.
What is a selling site?
A selling site is a web resource that brings commercial benefits to its owner by selling goods, services, filling the database with customer information or in any other way. Landing page is closely associated with selling sites - a landing page, the purpose of which is to quickly interest and confidently bring a client to a deal.
The bottom line is that landing pages are not stores and are not intended for delayed purchases. Powered by contextual advertising, they collect traffic from the target audience, which is theoretically interested in the essence of the offer. The goal of a landing page is to sell to as many people as possible. The percentage of transactions to total traffic is called conversion.
The number of sales depends both on the success of the page / offer itself and on the quality of traffic. If the conversion is 4-7%, this is a normal result. It is better to throw the mythical 20-30% out of your head, otherwise you will be disappointed ahead of time in this way of earning. Let's now discuss the approaches and principles for creating effective one-page pages.
1. One page - one product, one goal. Everything should be simple and hit in one spot. The client's attention should be focused on one product or service, all content on the page should spin and promote it. And nothing else. If you want to cover several offers, you can use multi-landings (one target audience will be shown a page about "Buy a house", the other - "Buy a garage", for example). A pile of goals leads to the fact that none of them will close the page, believe me.
2. Landing page is a separate site. Some people think that it is possible to make the main page (or any other) of a multi-page site in the landing page format, killing two birds with one stone with this approach and deceiving fate. Don't do that, it doesn't work. Visitors' attention will be scattered, they will look around and move on.
3. Landing page must be responsive. Now more than half of the traffic comes from smartphones, so it makes no sense to launch a website that looks bad on such screens.
4. The more precise and shorter the text, the better. A person, having entered the page, within the next 5-7 seconds must understand where he is, what is the essence of the offer, what benefit he will receive from this and what needs to be done for this. No need to beat around the bush: "Hit of the summer: comfortable, durable chaise lounge for 3000 rubles, an umbrella as a gift." The headline answers all questions at once. If it is primarily interesting, the client reads further, gets infected with the idea and buys.
5. Download speed is important. Many people use smartphones, the Internet is not fast everywhere, so page optimization is important, as well as adaptability. If the visitor does not wait for loading within 5-7 seconds, he will close the tab. Fortunately, the designers work so quickly. The remark is relevant, rather, for CMS - there you choose the hosting yourself, the speed largely depends on it, there is room for errors.
6. Be sure to accompany the product with a picture. If this is a course, training, that is, something intangible, and then still make a three-dimensional model of a box with a thematic depiction of the essence of the course. Visualize everything important! Use graphics - diagrams, photos, tables, if it helps to present the product appetizingly.
7. There should always be a clearly defined target action. Subscription, purchase, order. Moreover, the CTA (Call to Action) buttons must be signed with the implication of benefit for the client. For example, you shouldn't write "Submit" below the form. Better to write "Get / Download / Join Now".
8. Add social media share buttons to help increase your page revenue a little.
9. Navigation and structure should be simple. Remove everything that is unnecessary that does not affect the client's decision-making. There is no need for anecdotes, abstract stories, attempts to sell related products in parallel. Create a semantic tunnel without forks leading the visitor to the purchase.
10. Gifts work very well: bought a brazier - a package of coal as a gift, for example. The same applies to discounts: usually the product costs 2000, but now 1000, and even an interesting book as a gift, will come to the mail after paying for the order. Come up with promotions, in general.
11. Use A / B tests. You don't have to play marketing guru from the very first page. But! If you get a taste, testing will help you better understand the target audience and make more effective pages. Believe me, you may not always be able to predict the public reaction to your offer correctly, sometimes it will be unexpectedly good or bad. Tests will not deceive, they will show the real picture and allow you to draw the right conclusions without speculation.
To successfully submit a proposal, you need to be at least a little psychologist, to understand the target audience. For what and what formulations can she part with the money? What is important to these people, what arguments dispel fears, what aspects of the product are attracted to? The more accurately you represent the portrait of these people, the more effective the offer will be.
Site traffic is a metric that shows how many users visited the site in a certain period of time: day, month, year. This data is useful for analyzing the effectiveness of marketing in general or individual pages of the site.
Website traffic is a relative metric. Knowing about the attendance of a resource at a time will not be useful. It is optimal to compare traffic in dynamics (for weeks, months) or site traffic among themselves.
Data acquisition programs:
What is it. Free web analytics tool. This is an analogue of Metrica with viewing traffic sources, user actions on the site, attendance of individual pages and displaying the results in visual dashboards.
Cost. Is free.
Language. More than 10 languages.
Accuracy of attendance statistics. 100%.
What is it. Tool for viewing website traffic statistics.
Cost. Free trial for 1 day, then a subscription is required from $ 199.
Accuracy of attendance statistics. High with a small margin of error. The more popular the site is, the more accurate the traffic information will be.
What is it. Online service for viewing site traffic statistics.
Cost. Free trial for 7 days, then a subscription is required from $ 79.
Accuracy of attendance statistics. Average accuracy. Alexa collects website data using browser extensions and its own plug in. The results can be used for comparison, but not as an accurate measurement.
What is it. SEO platform for analyzing search traffic of sites.
Cost. Limited free version, for full access to the service, a subscription is required from $ 69.
Language. English and two else.
Accuracy of attendance statistics. High accuracy of search traffic.
What is it. Online service for quick site evaluation in terms of seo.
Cost. Free version for 20 analyzes per day, for unlimited access to the service, you will need a paid subscription from $ 13.
Accuracy of attendance statistics. Average accuracy, the data comes through the Alexa service.
What service should you use?
Get 100% accurate - Google Analytics
Compare traffic with competitors – SimilarWeb
Get statistics without registering - Pr-cy
Get statistics for foreign sites - Alexa
What is SEO
and how does it work?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization, Search Engine Optimization) is a comprehensive development and promotion of a website to reach the first positions in search engine results (SERPs) for selected queries in order to increase traffic and further generate income.
The higher the position of the site in the search results, the more users go to it. Therefore, works on:
- increasing the compliance of pages with search queries (relevance),
- optimization of structure and content,
- improving commercial factors,
- optimization of the page code,
- building up external factors of the resource's significance.
Optimization rules are set by search engines. Each of them uses and regularly updates its own ranking algorithms, which are composed of many factors. And although the formulas are kept secret, experts know which factors have the most weight. By acting on them, you can improve the position of key queries in search results.
It is very important for the promotion results - user behavior, interface usability and site loading speed. With the development and complication of algorithms, the importance of the above factors is steadily increasing, which ultimately makes the search results of higher quality. Search engines strive to deliver the most useful material to a user's request. Therefore, resource owners need to publish content that is most interesting to its audience.
And if it works today, it is not a fact that it will work tomorrow. Services are constantly changing, rebuilding. Approaches are changing along with them. Therefore, in the world of modern Internet business, it is simply necessary to have a reliable person or a team of professionals who will take on strategies for the development and promotion of your business on the Internet!